BENJAMIN H. RICHMAN is the Managing Partner of Edelson PC’s Chicago office. He handles plaintiff’s-side class and mass actions, helping employees in the workplace, consumers who were sold deceptive products or had their privacy rights violated, student athletes suffering from the effect of concussions, and labor unions and governmental bodies seeking to recover losses arising out of the Opioid Crisis. He also routinely represents technology and brick and mortar companies in a wide variety of general commercial litigation matters. Overall, Ben has been appointed by the federal and state courts to be Class or Lead Counsel in dozens of cases. His suits have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for his clients.
Representative Plaintiffs’ Class and Mass Actions:
- Part of team leading National Collegiate Athletic Association Student-Athlete Concussion Injury Litigation – Single Sport/Single School (Football) multi-district litigation, bringing personal injury lawsuits against the NCAA, conferences, and its member institutions over concussion-related injuries.
- Representing labor unions and governmental entities in lawsuits against the drug manufacturers and distributors over the opioid crisis.
- Appointed Special Assistant Corporation Counsel for the City of Chicago and Special Assistant State’s Attorney for Cook County, Illinois in their consolidated data breach/failure to notify lawsuit against Uber Technologies.
- Representing Houston area homeowners in litigation against United States seeking recovery for alleged constitutional takings of their properties in the wake of Hurricane Harvey.
- Lead counsel in putative class action involving claims that Alaskans’ genetic information and DNA analyses were unlawfully disclosed to third parties. Successfully defended Alaska’s Genetic Privacy Act from constitutional challenges in trial court and amendment in state legislature.
- Lead counsel in more than a half dozen class actions involving claims that companies violated state law by unlawfully collecting and storing consumer and employee biometric information.
- Part of team that litigated over a half-dozen nationwide class actions involving claims of unauthorized charges on cellular telephones, which ultimately led to settlements collectively worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Lead counsel in over a half-dozen nationwide class action settlements with software companies collectively worth $50 million dollars involving claims of fraudulent marketing and unfair business practices.
- Lead counsel in Thornton, et al. v. NCO, resulting in $8 million privacy settlement and defendant’s waiver of primary defenses as to claims not otherwise released by the settlement.
- Lead counsel Wright v. Nationstar, resulting in $12 million-dollar privacy settlement.
- Lead counsel in Hopwood v. Nuance Communications, Inc., resulting in $9 million privacy settlement, with individual payments to class members in excess of $10,000.
Representative Commercial Matters:
- Part of team that successfully defended multiple actions against largest medical marijuana producer in state of Illinois related to the issuance of its cultivation licenses.
- Part of team that successfully defended largest mortgage lender in Illinois on claims of unjust enrichment, securing dismissals or settlements that ultimately amounted to a fraction of typical defense costs such actions.
- Representing international energy company in disputes with former counsel and business partners.
- Representing healthcare startup in matters involving licensing, intellectual property, and merger and acquisition.
Awards and Honors:
- Super Lawyers Rising Star 2015 – 2018
- Emerging Lawyers 2015 – 2018
- CALI Award – Contracts
- Certificate in Trial Advocacy
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
Ben received his J.D. from The John Marshall Law School, where he was an Executive Editor of the Law Review and earned a Certificate in Trial Advocacy. While in law school, Ben served as a judicial extern to the Honorable John W. Darrah of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. Ben has routinely guest-lectured at various law schools on issues related to class actions, complex litigation and negotiation.
Ben grew up in New York and later, Alaska, where he graduated from high school. After his undergraduate studies in Colorado, Ben moved to Chicago for law school, where he now lives with his wife and three young children.