JIMMY ROCK is a partner at Edelson PC where his work focuses on consumer protection and environmental cases. He is also the lead for the firm’s Public Client Litigation. Prior to coming to Edelson PC, Jimmy spent twelve years with the Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia where he helped to start OAG’s Office of Consumer Protection and transform it into one of the preeminent State AG consumer practices. He also served for five years as an Assistant Deputy Attorney General managing OAG’s Public Advocacy Division, a 40+ lawyer group that enforced the District’s consumer protection, antitrust, workers’ rights, housing, nonprofit and environmental laws.
- District of Columbia v. Facebook (D.C. Superior Court): consumer protection case stemming from the Cambridge Analytica incident.
- District of Columbia v. 58th Presidential Inaugural Committee (D.C. Superior Court): lead attorney on nonprofit enforcement case against the Trump Organization for overcharging for event space at the Trump Hotel in connection with the 2017 Presidential Inaugural.
- District of Columbia v. Marriott International (D.C. Superior Court): lead attorney on consumer protection enforcement case stemming from multistate investigation into Marriott’s deceptive advertising of hotel rooms with mandatory resort fees included in the nightly room rate.
- District of Columbia v. Polymer80 (D.C. Superior Court): lead attorney on consumer protection case against manufacturer of untraceable gun kits illegally advertised and sold to District consumers.
- District of Columbia v. Exxon-Mobil, et al. (D.D.C.): consumer protection case against the largest oil and gas companies for engaging in a campaign of greenwashing and funding sham studies to obscure the trust of global warming.
- District of Columbia v. Expedia, et al. (D.C. Superior Court and DC Court of Appeals): led trial team against the largest online travel companies for failing to pay District sales taxes on service fees charged for selling hotel rooms. Recovered more than $90 million in unpaid taxes and fees and remains the largest litigated affirmative judgment obtained by the DC Attorney General’s Office.
- Attorney General’s Distinguished Service Award for Trial of Affirmative Litigation 2015.
- Adjunct Professor at Georgetown University Law Center teaching year-long course on Civil Litigation Practice and Procedure (2014-2018)
- Faculty at National Attorneys General Training Institute’s “Trial of a Complex Consumer Case.”
- NAAG Consumer Protection Conference panels on “Proving Individual Liability in UDAP Cases” and “Applying UDAP Statutes to Rental Housing.”
- District of Columbia