J. ELI WADE-SCOTT is an Associate at Edelson PC where his practice focuses on privacy- and tech-related class actions and enforcement actions brought by governmental entities. Eli is currently litigating over a dozen privacy class actions on behalf of consumers and employees under Illinois law, and has been appointed a Special Assistant State’s Attorney to prosecute Facebook’s violations of the Illinois Consumer Fraud Act in the Cambridge Analytica scandal.
Before joining Edelson, Eli served as a law clerk to the Honorable Rebecca Pallmeyer of the Northern District of Illinois. Eli has also worked as a Skadden Fellow at LAF, Cook County’s federally-funded legal aid provider. There, Eli represented dozens of low-income tenants in affirmative litigation against their landlords to remedy dangerous housing conditions.
During law school, Eli was an Executive Editor on the Harvard Law and Policy Review and a research assistant to Professor Vicki C. Jackson.
- In re Facebook, Inc., Consumer Privacy User Profile Litig., No. 18-cv-06486, 2019 WL 348893 (N.D. Cal. Jan. 29, 2019). Appointed Special Assistant State’s Attorney; briefed and argued successful motion to remand the action filed by Cook County State’s Attorney on behalf of the People of the State of Illinois.
- Barnes v. Aryzta LLC, 288 F. Supp. 3d 834 (N.D. Ill. 2017). Secured remand from federal court and attorneys’ fees, successfully arguing that a removing defendant had the burden to demonstrate plaintiff’s Article III standing.
- Wilson v. Huuuge, Inc., No. 3:18-cv-05276, 2018 WL 5921019 (W.D. Wash. Nov. 13, 2018). Defeated defendant’s motion to compel arbitration in putative nationwide consumer class actions against gambling company.
- Wilson v. Playtika, Ltd., No. 18-cv-05277, 2018 WL 6065658 (W.D. Wash. Nov. 20, 2018). Defeated motion to dismiss for forum non conveniens based on forum selection clause in statewide consumer class action against gambling company.
- Dickey v. Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., No. 15-cv-04922, 2019 WL 251488 (N.D. Cal. Jan. 17, 2019). Assisted in briefing successful motion to certify a nationwide class of consumers alleging claims under California consumer protection laws.
Awards and Honors:
- Awarded an Equal Justice America Fellowship in 2012 and Vorenberg Equal Justice Summer Fellowship in 2013 to fund public interest positions.
- Named an Outstanding Legal Intern by the Federal Defender Program of the Northern District of Illinois, 2013.
- Awarded a Skadden Fellowship by the Skadden Fellowship Foundation, 2014.
- Guest Lecturer in the Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law’s Clinic Practice: Civil Litigation Course, 2015 and 2016.