SCHUYLER UFKES is an Associate at Edelson PC where his practice focuses on consumer and privacy-related class actions.
Schuyler is currently litigating nearly a dozen consumer class actions on behalf of employees under the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act (“BIPA”) for their employers’ failure to comply with the Act’s notice and consent requirements before collecting, storing, and in some instances disclosing their biometric data. Schuyler is also litigating several Telephone Consumer Protection Act cases brought by recipients harassing debt-collection calls as well as spam text messages.
During law school, Schuyler was an Executive Articles Editor for the Chicago-Kent Law Review and was a member of the Moot Court Honor Society.
- Higgins v. TV Guide Magazine, LLC, 2:15-cv-13769 (E.D. Mich. 2018). Secured $1.7 settlement fund for a class of magazine subscribers resolving claims under Michigan’s Preservation of Personal Privacy Act and appointed class counsel.
- Lloyd v. Xanitos, No. 18-CH-15351 (Cir. Ct. Cook Cty. 2019). Secured settlement fund of $1,300 per person for a class of employees resolving BIPA claims.
- Biscuit Cafe Inc. et al v. Society Insurance, Inc., 1:20-cv-02514 (N.D. Ill.). Representing a class of Illinois businesses against their insurer for wrongfully denying claims for business income and extra expense coverage resulting from losses sustained due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- NCAA Concussion Litigation, No. 16-cv-08727, MDL No. 2492 (N.D. Ill.). Assisted in filing over 300 personal injury lawsuits against the NCAA and certain member schools on behalf of former student athletes suffering from concussion related symptoms and disorders.
Awards and Honors:
- Five CALI awards for receiving the highest grade in Legal Writing II, Legal Writing III, Pretrial Litigation, Supreme Court Review, and Professional Responsibility while at the Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Hon. Daniel T. Gillespie & Schuyler R. Ufkes, They can comment, but they cannot hide—The Illinois Supreme Court’s ruling on Rule 224 in Hadley v. Doe, Illinois State Bar Foundation (August 2015)
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado